I am excited about my first CSIRO approved dinner 🙂 There were lots of nice surprises. Like the crunch of walnuts in a mouthful of leaves and avocado. And the amazing vinaigrette dressing. It is all about the dressing.
I was simply stunned by the volume of green leaves that were part of this dinner, and I think I under measured to some extent! The recipe called for a huge bowl of rocket, cos, spinach and loose leaves, as well as cucumber.
There is obviously going to be a whole heap more vegetable eating going on, but I must say – I don’t mind. I love veggies. More of it!
Here is the recipe:
Chargrilled Cajun chicken with broccolini and salad
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 300 g chicken tenderloins (or breast, cut into tenderloins)
- olive oil for spraying
- bunch of broccolini
Mixed leaf and avocado salad
- 1 baby cos head of lettuce
- 1 cup of rocket leaves
- 1 cup of spinach leaves
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut lengthwise and then sliced on the diagonal
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ground black pepper
- half an avocado (80 g) diced
- 20 g walnuts or pecans roughly chopped
- Soak 6 bamboo skewers for 30 minutes in cold water.
- Add the lettuce, rocket, spinach and cucumber to a large bowl and toss gently.
- Place the garlic and mustard in a small bowl or jar and mix until combined, seasoning with ground black pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add the white wine vinegar and stir, followed by the olive oil and stir until emulsified.
- Add the dressing to the salad just before serving and gently toss to coat, then add the avocado and chopped nuts.
- Place paprika, garlic and onion powder, and other herbs and spices in a flat large dish that will fit the chicken skewers. Season with pepper and stir to mix well.
- Skewer each chicken tenderloin lengthways and then place in the spice mix, turning to coat evenly.
- Spray a chargrill pan and heat over medium heat. Spray chicken tenderloins with oil and then add to the pan, cooking for 4 – 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Spray the broccolini with oil and add to the chargrill pan, for three minutes on each side or until just tender and slightly charred.
- Pile the salad, broccolini and chicken on a large plate and serve.